As a collaboration involving MIT’s Schools of Engineering, Management, and Architecture and Planning, Transportation@MIT is directed by a diverse group of researchers and administrators from across the Institute. The initiative’s faculty director is Emilio Frazzoli, and Franciso Pereira serves as the executive director. General oversight is provided by the Faculty Advisory Council.
Emilio Frazzoli is a Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics with the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, and the Operations Research Center at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received a Laurea degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Rome, “Sapienza” , Italy, in 1994, and a Ph. D. degree from the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in 2001. Before returning to MIT in 2006, he held faculty positions at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is currently the Director of the Transportation@MIT initiative, and the Lead Principal Investigator of the Future Urban Mobility IRG of the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART). Dr. Frazzoli's current research interests focus primarily on autonomous vehicles, distributed control, and applications to transportation systems.
Dr. Francisco Pereira is the Executive Director of Transportation@MIT (effective February 1, 2015) and oversees the operations and strategic planning for the initiative. Dr. Pereira is currently a Research Associate at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology, working on data-driven modeling, simulation, and real-time prediction of large-scale, transportation networks.
Faculty Advisory Council
Our Faculty Advisory Council meets regularly to discuss the operations and strategy for Transportation@MIT, and our broad mission is reflected in its multi-disciplinary composition:
- Robert Armstrong – Chemical Engineering
- Hari Balakrishnan – Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Cynthia Barnhart – Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Moshe Ben-Akiva – Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Dara Entekhabi – Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Steve Graves – Sloan School of Management
- John Hansman – Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Patrick Jaillet – Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Yossi Sheffi – Engineering Systems Division
- John Sterman – Sloan School of Management
- Lawrence Susskind – Urban Studies and Planning
- Joseph Sussman – Civil and Environmental, Engineering Systems
- Ian Waitz – Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Nigel Wilson – Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Chris Zegras – Urban Studies and Planning